Some of the most frequent questions we get from customers have to do with the lifespan of their pool. After all, buying a pool is a big investment, and homeowners want to know if steel pools are ideal in the long run.
The short answer to the question is that steel pools last anywhere from five to 10 years before they need to be replaced—but there are some of the factors that can affect your pool’s lifespan.
Let’s take a look:
- Liner: There are several styles of vinyl liners to choose from, including overlap, beaded, universal and expandable liners. All of them have similar properties, but you want to be sure that you have a thick liner. Thicker liners may cost more, but they last longer and save you from the hassle of needing to replace them. A thick vinyl liner can last for a decade if it’s well maintained.
- Climate: Here in Oxford, CT, harsh winters can take a drastic toll on steel above ground pools. Snow and ice can eventually cause rust and corrosion, necessitating frequent repairs or early replacement. To combat the elements, it’s essential that you winterize your pool at the end of each season.
- Maintenance: Winterizing isn’t the only form of maintenance you’ll need to do. Pools should be cleaned biweekly to remove debris, and you’ll also want to remove stuck-on debris from the pool’s structure to prevent long-term damage. Additionally, consider covering your pool when it’s not in use to prevent premature failure.
- Filter system: The pump and filter system don’t play a direct role in your steel pool’s lifespan; however, they are essential in keeping your pool water safe to swim in. The three top choices for above ground pool filters are sand, cartridge and diatomaceous earth filters. Talk to your pool installation contractor about which one is right for you.
Are steel pools ideal in the long run?
With all of the different pool material options out there, choosing the right one can be a little tricky. For our money, we think steel is one of the best ways to go. Here are a few reasons to go with a steel pool:
- Durability: As we mentioned above, steel pools can last for up to a decade with proper maintenance. That’s far longer than any other above ground pool type.
- Customizable: Steel pools can also be designed in any style you can imagine. From circles to rectangles or even star patterns, the options are limitless.
- Lower cost: If you want the most bang for your buck, be sure to consider steel. Steel pools have some of the lowest installation and upkeep costs, along with being longer lasting than other materials.
Buy your steel pool from A-1 Pools & Spas
If you’re thinking about investing in steel above ground pools in Oxford, CT, then be sure to buy yours from A-1 Pools & Spas. In addition to selling and installing the highest-quality pools, we also offer routine maintenance services to ensure your pool lasts for years to come.
Categorised in: Pool Contractors