You’ve probably heard of shocking a pool in New Haven County, CT. But what is this process, exactly? And is it something you need to do to your pool?
Check out the following guide to pool shocking to learn what this is, why it’s done and when you should do it.
What is pool shocking in New Haven County, CT?
Pool shocking is the process of treating your water by adding chlorine to the pool in order to correct specific issues with the water chemistry.
Why should you shock your pool?
There are three main reasons why you might need to shock your pool:
- Combined chlorine: This is the most common need for pool shocking. The shocking process breaks apart chloramines, also called combined chlorine. Adding chemicals creates a release of the combined chlorine to stabilize the chlorine level and restore a healthy chemical balance to the water.
- Quick fix: If you need to raise the level of sanitizer in your pool in a short period of time, pool shocking in New Haven County, CT is a good solution. This may be necessary after heavy use of your pool, such as a large party.
- Algae: When you need to get rid of algae in your pool, pool shocking is a good solution. If algae have grown on the bottom, or there are other issues with algae, shocking will raise the chlorine level to rid your pool of this problem.
How often should I shock my pool?
A good rule of thumb is to shock your pool weekly. However, this may vary due to weather conditions and frequency of use.
When is the best time to shock my pool?
It’s best to shock your pool at night. Wait for the evening, so swimmers are done for the day and the sun is no longer beating down on your pool. This will give the shock opportunity to bring the chlorine level back up, and it will avoid irritating the eyes and skin of anyone in the pool.
What else do I need to know about shocking a pool in New Haven County, CT?
As you shock your pool, there are three more things to keep in mind:
- Always run your pump for at least 20 minutes after shocking your pool.
- Do not use the pool immediately after shocking it. Follow the instructions on the shock for wait times.
- Never store partially used bags of shock. Always use the entire bag.
Get more answers
For more tips on pool care and pool shocking in New Haven County, CT, contact your local pool experts at A-1 Pools & Spas. Locally owned and operated, we’ve been serving pool owners throughout the area since 1983. We offer complete service and weekly maintenance of all pools, including cleaning, pump replacements, heater replacements and more. Get in touch with our experts with any questions or to schedule your next service. You can reach us online or by calling 203-888-5915—we look forward to becoming your pool partners for life!
Categorised in: Pool Contractors